1. Illinois Expands Background Checks When Buying Guns- The state of Illinois of has extended background checks when purchasing any firearm. Prior to the law being signed on Sunday, background checks were only required when purchasing guns at a store or at gun fair. The new law will go into effect January 1, 2014 and also requires people with lost firearms to report them lost after 72 hours.
2. Glenn Greenwald’s Partner Detained At Heathrow- David Miranda, partner of Glenn Greenwald, The Guardian reporter who used the information supplied by Edward Snowden to illuminate the NSA was detained at Heathrow Airport. Held under Section 7 of the British Terrorism Act, Miranda was held for nine hours.
3. Oscar Pistorious Indicted For Murder– South African track and field star Oscar Pistorious was indicted on murder charges yesterday for possibly killing his girl friend. Pistorious, a paraolympican as well is being faced with premeditated murder charges.
4. Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook Hacked- Facebook CEO and chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg has his Facebook account hacked as a Khalil Sreateh, an IT expert from Palestine continually alerted Zuckerberg’s term of privacy concern. The hack was simply an attempt to alert the Facebook team.
5. NJ To Ban “Gay Conversion Therapy”- New Jersey governor Chris Christie has plans to sign a bill Monday that will ban the use of gay conversion therapy that attempts to change gay minors to “straight” minors. If signed, the law will become the second of such other than a bill in California.
Song of the Day: Notorious B.I.G.- Respect
Happy Birthday: Fat Joe, turns 43 today!
RIP: Tony Scott, died one year ago today.