1. Some Retailers Refusing To See Newest RollingStone Magazine- RollingStone has a bit of controversy on their hands after they decided to feature suspected Boston bomber Dzhohkar Tsarnaev on the cover with the headline, “The Bomber.” Now, several retailers including CVS and Walgreens have decided not to sell the issue.
2. Vatican Offering “Time Off Purgatory” For Following Pope On Twitter- To keep the Catholic Church relevant and in track with social media trends, the Vatican is offering followers “indulgences” if they following Pope Francis on Twitter. “Indulgences” reduce the amount of time Catholics spend in purgatory.
3. Verizon Sells Almost 4 million iPhones- Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo announced today that Verizon sold 3.87 million iPhones during the second quarter. The figure comprises 51 percent of all smart phones sold in the United States.
4. House of Cards Makes Emmy History- The Emmys were announced early this morning and besides only three nominations for Arrested Development, history was made as House of Cards became the first TV program not appear on television to receive a best drama nomination.
5. Open Championship Starts Today- The oldest gold tournament ever, the Open Championship starts today in East Lothian, Scotland.
Song of the Day: Moneygrabber- Fitz & the Tantrums
Happy Birthday: Nelson Mandela, turns 95 today!
RIP: Nico, died 25 years ago today.