1. Supreme Court To Rule On Gay Marriage- The Supreme Court of the United States is set to decide today on the constitutionality of California’s Proposition 8 and the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act which denied federal benefits to same-sex couples.
2. Australia Has A New Prime Minister- Kevin Rudd, former Australian leader, won in caucus vote in the Labor party defeating sitting prime minister Julia Gillard. The vote was 57-45.
3. F.T.C. Tells Search Companies To Label Advertising- The F.T.C. told search companies Google, Bing and others that they need to label their advertising pages more clearly. The goal should be according to the report to, “to avoid the potential for deception, consumers should be able to easily distinguish a natural search result from advertising that a search engine delivers.”
4. Texas Abortion Bill Dies- After a marathon legislative session and a ten hour filibuster from Wendy Davis, an abortion bill was blocked in Texas yesterday. The bill would have greatly restricted abortion around the state.
5. RIP Marc Rich- March Rich, a legendary commodities trader who invented oil trading and was pardoned by Bill Clinton in the largest tax evasion in US history died yesterday at the age of 78.
Happy Birthday: Nick Offerman, turns 43 today.
RIP: Liz Claiborne, died 6 years ago today.