1. Arizona Mom Freed From Mexican Jail- An American woman, Yanira Maldonado was released from a Mexican jail yesterday after courts determined that prosecutors did not show enough evidence. The Arizona mother was arrested on charges of smuggling drugs in the United States.
2. Russia Set To Sell Fighter Jets To Syria- Yesterday it was reported that Russia was selling missile defense to Syria, today, Russia is reported to sell MiG fighters to Syria. There is no timetable yet to when the missile defense systems will be delivered.
3. Phillip Seymour Hoffman Treated For Heroin Addiction- According to a new report, Phillip Seymour Hoffman has just completed a ten day program for snorting heroin. The actor said he had been clean for 23 years until recently.
4. Hannibal Renewed- 5Takeaways favorite Hannibal has made a splash by including lots of violence and being banned in Utah. The TV series helmed by Bryan Fuller was renewed for a second season yesterday.
5. Spelling Bee Champ Crowned- Arvind Mahankali, 13, of New York City, was crowned the champion of the Scripps National Spelling Bee last night. He won more than $30,000. The winning word was “knaidel” a German word for matzo ball.